Producers: Market Yourself Online
Yes alas there must be rules.
- Please treat others as you would like to be treated: profanity is unnecessary in intelligent discussion and will not be tolerated. If in doubt, follow the grandma rule: if you wouldn't do it, say it, or show it to you grandmother then don't do it.
- Stay on topic--if you can't stay on topic within existing groups and forums, create a new one or interact via private message.
- Spamming (on forums or of other members or in comments) will not be tolerated and will result in instant membership termination.
- All products, services, job postings etc must be advertised in the classified section. Events must (obviously) be listed as an event in the events page.
Welcome. Whether you a seasoned veteran shopper of the local food movement or the idea of cooking fresh rutabaga still strikes fear into your heart, we've put together an introduction to local food for you.
The question is more like, why not? Taste: Fantastic heirloom varieties and completely unique and unparalleled artisanal foodsSupport your community’s economyGet to know your food's story.
Learn more about local
Contribute to the local movement
- Add resources to our resources area.
- Join local groups or organizations: CSA's, non-profits.
- Start shopping local.
- Organize a farmers market in your community.
- Display your pride--check out our cafepress store for your favorite producer and FLF merchandise.
You are your own best marketing tool! In any business venture, you need to market yourself. This will always require a money and/or a time commitment. There are various marketing mediums; in 2011 creating and maintaining an online presence (e.g. website, facebook profile, blog) has become increasingly important if not absolutely necessary. One of the most important goals behind creating the Finger Lakes Foodie Community is to enable producers to create an online presence that can be managed easily and efficiently, which will enable you to connect with more consumers. Remember the online social media adage, the more you contribute the more you will benefit. We’ll start with the minimum steps you should take to begin connecting with consumers.
Lost already? Check out help! What's a social network?
Help! What's a social network?
A collection of people online who connect with each other for various reasons: friendship, common interests, professional networking etc.--think Facebook.
Why should I join a social network? How will that benefit my business?
- Market yourself
- Use it to expand your business
- Solve problems by working with others
- Educate people about local food and the benefits of your products
How much do I have to do?
As much or as little as you want to do. What do I have to do? Any or all of the below.
Create an Online Presence--Basic
- Join And Create a Profile
- Make sure to input your location--this makes you searchable to consumers by geographic location
- Add your contact information--especially email and a website, people are searching for you on an online medium, it's important to give them that option of contact
- Create a Network
- Search and add friends
- Join interest groups
- Message Friends
- Post on Forums
- Comment on Resources, Events, Blog posts and more
- Start a blog or add an existing blog
- Add events for your community or that you are participating in
- Groups: interested in a topic you don't see already, make a new group!
- New resources: add your favorite recipes, or blogs or farming guides and articles
- Create and upload resources related to your products--for example, are you a specialty garlic farmer? Upload 10 ways to use fresh garlic. Be creative, share your knowledge and your passion!
- Events-join events you will be attending. Consumers want to know where you will be!
- Create Merchandise. Sell shirts, mugs, bumper stickers with us on Cafepress. No upfront costs, just pure marketing and profit when your design sells.
- Hosting an event--Sell your tickets online with our event management options
- Integrate existing social media: add your twitter and facebook updates to your activity stream here